Sunday, March 7, 2010

Real Food vs. Fake Food


When my parents went on the Atkin’s diet they replaced most of the food in our house with low-carb food. They even replaced spaghetti, which is mainly starch and carbohydrates in its real form, with a low-carb imposter. I’m not even sure what they could put in the spaghetti that would replace the carbohydrates. It makes me worry about what I was actually eating, considering it tasted like long strings of cardboard. To me it was nothing like the food I would consume in daily as a child. It was grainy, smelled like shoes, and felt like an anvil in my stomach. My parents argued that it had all of the same nutrients and even more fiber in it than the real stuff, but their arguments had no effects on my taste buds. After the first taste I knew for a fact I would never eat it again. There are many other fake foods in our pantry that disguise themselves as the “real deal” or sometimes even better, but this is by far the worst of them all. I am not a fan of my parents being on the Atkins diet, mainly because it is truly an unhealthy way to try to lose weight. But what I absolutely hate more than the fact that they are on the diet is the terrible foods that the diet brings with it. How on earth can spaghetti be low in carbohydrates? It is a complex carb in itself and full of starch! This just didn’t seem right to me, so then I looked at the box and realized that Pollen would not have approved. There were more ingredients than I could count, and most of them had names that seemed like they were in another language. It is disheartening to know that companies are passing off these chemically processed food as real food. I don't think I will ever eat that low-carb food my parents keep buying because it doesn't seem to actually have food in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment